From the hills of Shinnston, West Virginia; Eric began his music by pounding on the piano at the young age of six. Music got into him and he was hooked! After a while he moved onto bass, drums, guitar and even glockenspiels! His musical mentors along the way include his Dad and Nick Ours.
Brian and Josh were playing at a youth camp in WV and saw a young scrawny guy with a strat and a crate ripping of sweet child of mine licks to the praise song "One Name". It was destined that he would be in the band. Eric joined DecembeRadio in 2004. You will mainly find Eric playing guitar and singing with DecembeRadio. When not on the road you can find Eric in the woods or by a stream digesting life.
Get to know Eric Miker
- When were you born, and where did you grow up?
I was born August 15th 1983; I grew up in Harrison County, West Virginia, (North Central) 90 miles south of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Do you like animals? Tell us about your favorite pet (name, species, etc.).
Yes, I love animals . . . I love hunting them more. I always had fish growing up because we lived so close to the highway the cats always got run over, I did have a dog named Mikey for 12 years though.
- If your life flashed before your eyes, what would be the highlights?
It's hard to narrow it down in one paragraph or one even story. I'm a thrill seeker; my whole life is a highlight!
- What was the year, make, and model of the very first car you ever owned? Did you have a name for it?
It was a 1993 Ford Probe with remote doors and flip up headlights. Instead of the song "My Sharona" by The Knack, my friends would sing, "Mmma-mma-ma-Miker's Proba!"
- When did you first begin to play an instrument, and what was it? Name all the instruments you can play.
In 5th grade, I played the trumpet because the girl I had a crush on played saxophone. In 6th grade, I had to take some piano lessons. So other than that, guitar is really the only instrument I can play, but I can fake it on bass and drums.
- If you were going to the movies, and there's the choice of a thriller, action adventure, comedy, horror, or romantic drama playing, which would you go see?
It really depends on the mood I'm in, and who I am with . . . wife - romantic comedy, guy friends - comedy or action adventure.
- What are your hobbies outside of music? Any sports or activities in which you love to take part?
I like all physical sports i.e. baseball, basketball, football, golf, but my biggest passion is for the outdoors! I love bow hunting, fly fishing . . . really any kind of hunting or fishing.
- Choosing from the usual professional sports, (football, baseball, basketball, hockey, golf, NASCAR, etc.) which is your favorite? Who is your favorite team or player?
My favorite pro sport is baseball. I like the St. Louis Cardinals.
- Give us the list of your favorite foods: desert, restaurant, fast food, on the road travel snack, and your overall favorite food.
Favorite desert: I'm not a huge desert guy but I love chocolate chip cannoli.
Favorite restaurant: Mamma Concetta's Italian restaurant in Christiansburg, Virginia.
Favorite fast food: In-N-Out Burger in California.
On the road travel snack: My favorite travel snack is roasted almonds.
Favorite overall food: I love sushi, but my most favorite dish in the world is Zuppa Pescatore from Momma Concetta's.
- When you're home, do you cook? If yes, what do you call your signature dish, and what's in it?
Yes, I cook . . . anything I catch or kill. My favorites are wild turkey or rainbow trout.
- What's your most memorable on the road story?
The entire trip to Europe, Norway, Sweden, London . . . so many things happened, and we saw so many great things. One of the definite highlights was the $400 dollar Indian food in London.
- What is your favorite song to play in concert?
Probably . . . hmmm, it changes . . . "Believer"?
- What is currently in your CD player/mp3 player?
It's always changing. Honestly? A turkey hunting mouth calling CD.
- What is your favorite television program, and what makes it your favorite?
Hmmmm . . . anything on the outdoor network that isn't paid programming . . . and SportsCenter.
- What is your first memory as a child?
My first memory as a child . . . sharing a room with my sister and thinking the blankets rolled up in the top of the closets were monsters.
- If you were lost on a deserted island what three things (not people) would you want with you?
A gun, a fishing pole, and a mansion fully equipped with everything I would need . . . including a fishing boat. (It's my question. I'll cheat if I want!!! )
- If you could travel back in time, to what time period would you go?
I'd go to about 1950 and invent the personal computer.
- For you, what is the best part about being in DecembeRadio?
Being able to travel and have a family of good, godly guys around me to keep me accountable.